My Boss is Harassing Me, but Nobody Seems to Care. What Should I Do?

Nate Thompson is the firm’s guest blogger.  He is a full-time student at Wheaton College and an intern at Favaro & Gorman, Ltd.

Eight former and current employees of a California Goodwill, and its affiliate Calidad Industries Inc., stand to receive $850,000 after the companies settled a legal claim through the EEOC. Six female janitorial employees, who worked a night shift at the company, claim to have faced routine sexual harassment by their supervisor. The female employees, as young as 19 years old, began filing complaints to their employer about the harassment they were facing. Their complaints were largely ignored by the company until a couple of daytime managers intervened.

The female employees chose to confide in a couple of daytime managers at the company, who then prompted them to file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The EEOC, after investigation, filed a case against their employer based on Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. This legislation prohibits employers from subjecting their employees to sexual harassment. It also provides specific protection for employees from retaliation for reporting or otherwise supporting claims of sexual harassment in the workplace. As a result, not only were the female janitorial employees included in the suit, but also the managers who supported their claims and faced retaliation.

So, what insight does this case offer the employee?

  • If you are experiencing harassment in the workplace, report it
  • Find someone in the workplace who you can trust to confide in
  • If you believe a co-worker is being harassed, don’t be afraid to intervene. Your rights are protected too
  • If your employer takes no action on your complaint, contact the EEOC
  • Find an attorney willing to get you the protection and compensation you deserve

DISCLAIMER: The above is not and should not be interpreted as legal advice. It is for informational purposes only. You should consult an attorney for legal advice. If you or someone you know are a victim of harassment and are seeking representation, click here to reach out to our firm.